Wednesday, February 17, 2016

AntiGravity Yoga


               If you're looking to do yoga, but just can't figure out how to do the poses with your affected arm, then maybe AntiGravityYoga is right for you!

I had previously tried Traditional Yoga and Bikram, or Hot, Yoga.  However, I found that weight-bearing on my left arm was nearly impossible and leaning just on my right arm was uncomfortable and felt uneven on my body. My neurologist had recommended Hot Yoga because the warmth allows your muscles to loosen up a bit more, but the heat was too intense for me. However, that's not to say that these classes are not good for people with Erb's palsy. There's no harm in trying! 

On a whim, I tried AntiGravity Yoga and loved it! The first class I attended was called AntiGravity Deep Release at EmergeYoga & Wellness in Bellmore, New York. In this class, the hammocks hang at about six to eight inches from the ground, which is lower than the hammocks in the typical AntiGravity classes. It involves a lot of comfortable stretches, meditation and relaxation. This is still my favorite class and is perfect to do at least once a week to stretch and take some time to relax.

I believe this form of exercise is PERFECT for people living with Erb's Palsy! “AntiGravity Yoga was developed by Christopher Harrison, a former aerial acrobat and gymnast who found traditional yoga too hard on his injured wrists. The weightless poses can be used to strengthen the core as well as relieve aching joints and stretch tight muscles.” What an awesome solution for us as well!

I recommend always speaking with the instructor before class and trying to explain your injury. He or she may be aware of modifications that you may not have known about beforehand.  Good Luck and Happy Flying!


Have you tried AntiGravity Yoga before? What did you think about it? 
Please comment below!

Sources and Additional Information: 


No comments:

Post a Comment